Argument on Halloween leads to shooting
By Tyler Stocks
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
A Halloween shooting that wounded an Ayden man was the result of a dispute between two groups, the Ayden Police Department confirmed on Monday afternoon.
The shooting took place near intersection of Pitt Street and Planter’s Street shortly after 11 p.m., department spokeswoman Jenny Clark said.
Dewan Robert Maxwell, 39, of 332 W. Barwick St., Ayden, is accused of shooting 49-year-old Eric Connor in the neck with a handgun.
Connor was taken to Vidant Medical Center and is expected to recover, Clark said. The case is still under investigation but no more arrests are expected.
Maxwell was jailed in the Pitt County Detention Center under a $225,000 bond. He is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill/inflicting serious injury and possession of a firearm by a felon.
The Pitt County Sheriff’s Office released reports Wednesday through Monday with the following details and allegations:
- 4700 block N.C. 11 North, near Bethel, 12:31 p.m. Nov. 3: Power tools valued at $700 stolen from home; case active.
- 4700 block Gloucester Drive, outside of Washington, N.C., 9 p.m. Nov. 2: Computer software valued at $300 stolen from motor vehicle; item recovered; case active
- 700 block Circle Drive, near Greenville, 11:30 p.m. Nov. 2: Gun valued at $300 stolen from home; case active.
- 900 block Gum Swamp Road, Greenville, 5:30 p.m. Nov. 1: 38-year-old man assaulted by spouse; no injuries reported; case active.
- 3900 block J.C. Galloway Road, Grimesland, 10:30 a.m. Nov. 3: 21-year-old woman assaulted by boyfriend; no injuries reported; prosecution declined.
- 5600 block Tori Lane, Washington, 3:51 p.m. Nov. 1: Vehicle and home shot; vehicle sustained $3,000 in damages; home sustained $100 in damages; case closed; leads exhausted.
The Greenville Police Department released reports Wednesday through Monday with the following details and allegations:
- 2100 block East Third Street, 10:10 a.m. Oct. 16: Stove and refrigerator valued at $650 stolen from home; case inactive.
- 800 block Thomas Langston Road, Winterville, Oct. 16: Welder, pressure washer and ladder, all valued at $1,983, stolen from Lowes by employee; case inactive.
- 3700 block South Memorial Drive, 9:55 a.m. Nov. 1: 32-year-old woman assaulted by stranger; no injuries reported; case inactive.
- 2700 block Shawnee Place, 8:35 p.m. Oct. 31: 32-year-old woman, 29-year-old woman and 31-year-old man assaulted by group of people known to them; case inactive.
- 100 block Shiloh Drive, 6:31 a.m. Oct. 31: 19-year-old woman grabbed, kicked and punched by boyfriend; minor injuries reported; case inactive.
- 200 block Kristin Drive, 3 a.m. Oct. 31: 31-year-old woman assaulted with unknown weapon by person known to her; cell phone valued at $300 stolen from victim; case inactive.
- 1800 block Hopkins Drive, 1:21 a.m. Oct. 31: 23-year-old woman assaulted by ex-boyfriend; minor injuries reported; investigation ongoing.
- 900 block Allen Road, 8:40 p.m. Oct. 30: 22-year-old woman assaulted by boyfriend; no injuries reported; case inactive.
- 800 block Bradley Street, 2:30 a.m. Oct. 27: 30-year-old woman assaulted by boyfriend; minor injuries reported; investigation ongoing.
- 1000 block Spring Forest Road, 10:31 p.m. Nov. 2: 51-year-old man assaulted by spouse; no injuries reported; cleared by arrest.
- 1300 block West Arlington Boulevard, 9:08 p.m. Nov. 2: 22-year-old woman assaulted by unknown person; minor injuries reported; case inactive.
- 3200 block Mosley Drive, 10 p.m. Oct. 29: Vehicle sustained $800 in damages; knife or cutting instrument used; case inactive.
- 3500 block East 10th Street, 2:30 a.m. Oct. 31: Vehicle sustained $600 in damages; case inactive.